Updated: Feb 1, 2021
These cookies are wonderfully crisp on the edges and soft in the center. They will surely become a holiday favorite!
Prep Time: 2.25 hours
Cook Time: 10 minutes
·Yield: 24 medium cookies
3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter brought to room temperature
3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional, but adds a nice flavor)
2 and 1/4 cups (430g) Fox & Son Funnel Cake Mix
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 cups (180g) confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon light corn syrup (optional for shine!)
2 – 2.5 Tablespoons (30-38ml) water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a large bowl using a stand mixer or handheld mixer, beat the butter until creamed and smooth using a paddle attachment for about 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat on the highest setting until the mix appears fluffy and light in texture, scraping down the paddle and sides of the bowl as needed.
2. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat on high for 2 minutes. Keep scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
3. Mix together the Fox & Son flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Turn the mixer down to low and add half of the dry mixture until just combined. Add the rest of the flour, stopping as soon as the dough has formed. Add 1 Tablespoon more of the Fox & Son Flour if the consistency is too soft and wet for rolling.
4. Separate the dough into two separate balls. Roll each portion out onto a piece of floured parchment or on plastic wrap to about 1/3″ thickness. Stack the pieces with paper or plastic between them onto a baking sheet, cover lightly, and refrigerate. The dough should rest for at least 2 hours in the fridge, but can sit up to two days before being used.
5. Once chilled and rested, preheat your oven to 350°F and set to convection if available. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Remove one of the dough pieces from the refrigerator and cut in shapes using cookie cutter shapes of your choice. Transfer the shapes to a plate lightly dusted with the Fox & Son flour, being careful not to bend or press them and ruin the shape. Re-roll the remaining dough and continue cutting until all the dough is used up.
Place the plates in the freezer for 20 minutes to rechill. If the dough is too warm and soft, it will not keep its shape when baked. After 20 minutes, transfer the cutouts to your prepared cookie sheets.